Ahh you guys, there is seriously nothing I love more than delicious sizzling chicken fajitas! I could eat them pretty much on any given weeknight, I mean not only are they packed with tons of flavor, but with just a few simple ingredients you can easily make a healthy filling dinner! Being that fajitas are literally one of our favorite go-to meals, I thought it’d be fun to do a little spin on the traditional fajita dish and simply roll the chicken up around the veggies to make one perfect little serving.
My hubby absolutely RAVED about these and has already requested that we add them into our weekly meal rotation. As you know we love to meal prep and these chicken roll-ups make perfect leftovers for lunches or dinner. The chicken is super moist, the peppers are cooked just perfectly inside the roll-ups and the whole dish literally only takes about 30 minutes to throw together (after the chicken has marinated).
I went ahead and purchased thin sliced chicken cutlets just to make life a little easier, but you could of course use regular chicken breasts, slice them in half or into thirds (depending on the size) and pound them out until they are about a 1/4-inch thick. Either way will work just fine!
Then comes the fun part – marinating!! Please do not skip this part to save time, the longer the chicken marinates, the more flavor they will have so this is really important. The marinade is super easy to make and is a basic recipe that I use for all my fajita recipes which includes a little olive oil, lime juice and garlic along with a combination of chili powder, cumin, oregano, salt and fresh chopped cilantro.
I also add a pinch of cayenne pepper or hot sauce because I like a little heat with my fajitas, but you can leave this out if you don’t like things too spicy. I promise the flavor will still be there!
Oh and don’t let the fact that this recipe requires chicken being rolled up around veggies be a deterrent to you – this couldn’t be easier. Seriously. Any novice home cook (or even your kiddos) could do this! All you need are toothpicks or some kitchen twine, but I personally find that toothpicks are much easier to use annnd I’m sure you already have those lying around your kitchen somewhere. Just roll the chicken up around the slices of bell pepper and secure both sides with a toothpick.
Easy and done! Once the chicken bakes and you’re ready to eat you can remove the toothpicks and the chicken will still remain wrapped around the veggies.
Such an easy dish that takes so little time!
How To Make Chicken Fajita Roll | Food Recipes
For the Marinade:
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- Juice of half a lime
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tsp. chili powder
- ½ tsp. cumin
- ½ tsp. dried oregano
- ½ tsp. salt
- Pinch of cayenne pepper (optional)
- 2 Tbsp cilantro, chopped
For the Chicken:
- 3 chicken breasts or 6 thin sliced chicken cutlets ¼-inch thick
- ½ red bell pepper, sliced
- ½ yellow bell pepper, sliced
- ½ green bell pepper, sliced
- In a small bowl, whisk together olive oil, lime juice, garlic, chili powder, cumin, oregano, salt, cayenne (if using) and cilantro. Set aside.
- For the chicken breasts, if you purchased pre-sliced chicken cutlets then skip to the next step.
- If using chicken breasts, slice them longways into 2 even slices and firmly pound the chicken using the smooth side of a meat tenderizer to an even thickness of about ¼ inch.
- Place chicken cutlets into a large resealable freezer bag and pour marinade over top,
- making sure they are completely coated.
- Allow chicken to marinate for a minimum of one hour to overnight.
- Once chicken has marinated, evenly place 6 bell pepper slices in the middle of the chicken cutlet,
- roll up and secure with a toothpick.
- Repeat this step until all the cutlets have been rolled up and place seam side down in a prepared baking dish.
- Brush tops of chicken with remaining marinade and bake,
- uncovered, at 375 for about 25 to 30 minutes or until the juices run clear.
- Serve and enjoy!
You can find complete recipes of this Chicken Fajita Roll in eatyourselfskinny.com