Cheesecake is a New Year’s family tradition. As is my grandmother always knocking over a huge thing of soda. Or pop. Or whatever you call it. I grew up in northern Indiana and always said “pop,” but I’ve lived in various south and southwest states for over a decade and my vernacular has changed to “soda.”
I can’t say our New Year’s Eve is ever really rock’in but it’s fun to us nonetheless. As a kid it was always at grandma’s house with pizza, cherry 7Up, and the aforementioned cheesecake. As a so-called grown responsible adult our NYE depends on whether or not the hubs has to get up for work the next morning (at 4 a.m. poor guy). On the years he doesn’t work we go all crazy and drink chocolate milk til we’re silly.
I promise we’re not nearly as lame as I make us sound! Despite meeting in a bar (totally unoriginal), we never think to drink. It’s not in the house and my grocery bill is high enough that I never want to add to it. So I over-indulge in things like chocolate milk and crazy awesome sour cream cheesecake. It has the most amazing texture and depth of flavor. Think New York style cheesecake but better. Yet so simple to make!
HOW TO MAKE THE BEST SOUR CREAM CHEESECAKE | FOOD RECIPES
- Chex crust or GF cookie crust prepared in 9-inch spring form pan (If not doing the Chex crust I recommend
- 1½ cups GF shortbread cookie crumbs plus 2-3 tbsp butter for a wonderful crust)
- 3 8-ounce packages of cream cheese, softened
- 14-ounce can sweetened condensed milk
- 4 large eggs
- 8-ounces sour cream
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees; place pan of water on lowest rack in oven – this helps prevent the cheesecake from cracking during baking.
- In large mixing bowl beat cream cheese until fluffy.
- Gradually beat in sweetened condensed milk until smooth.
- Beat in eggs, one at a time, then sour cream and vanilla.
- Pour into 9-inch spring form pan.
- Bake 50-55 minutes until edges are light golden brown.
- The center will still be very slightly soft.
- Let cool, then refrigerate at least 4 hours to chill completely before serving.
You can find complete recipes of this THE BEST SOUR CREAM CHEESECAKE in recreatinghappiness.com