#SundaySupper knows sometimes it is time to push good manners aside because food is always more fun when you can eat it with your hands. So this week it’s a menu of Finger Foods for Dinner or Dessert. Whether you want a make-ahead breakfast to grab on the go or prefer to eat brinner, just make a batch of this recipe for Broccoli, Ham and Cheese Egg Muffin Cups.
The other day I was looking at the Timehop app on my phone and there was a video of The Bug as a baby shoveling yogurt into his mouth without bothering to use any utensils. I was the proud mama gushing about how great it was that he was figuring out how to feed himself, even if he was still struggling with the spoon. I was laughing that I would have a big mess to clean up, but it didn’t matter because it was all part of the learning experience.
Fast forward five years to my almost-six-year-old and he still eats the same way. And I am still cleaning messes. And I’m not gushing or laughing anymore.
I like to think my husband and I have good table manners and that we are capable of passing these down to our children. In fact, I am pretty confident that we do and we can because my three-year-old brandishes a fork and spoon just fine. He still makes a mess, but he is slow and methodical and manages to get most of the food into his mouth.
The Bug, from the first day I gave him solid food, has made it his mission to get the food into his mouth as fast as possible, and if using a utensil is going to slow his progress, then he is going to forego all manners and appropriate dinner table behavior and dig in with his hands.
Sometimes I have to just choose my battles. And trust me, with two small boys, sometimes fork usage is the least of my concerns for a peaceful meal. So you can imagine how thrilled The Bug was when I told him that this was acceptable finger food…
Broccoli, Ham and Cheese Egg Muffin Cups are as tasty as a broccoli, ham and cheese omelet, but in a much cuter package. Plus a package that is totally acceptable to pick up and eat with your hands. And especially convenient because you can make a bunch at a time and keep them in the fridge for the week, or even pop in the freezer for when you need a quick breakfast on your way out the door on busy mornings.
How To Make Broccoli, Ham and Cheese Egg Muffin Cups | Food Recipes
- 1½ cups chopped cooked broccoli
- 1 cup diced ham
- 1 cup (about 4 oz.) shredded cheddar cheese
- 12 eggs
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat your oven to 350°F and coat a muffin tin with nonstick cooking spray.
- Divide the broccoli and ham between the cups in the muffin tin.
- Top each with a slightly heaping tablespoon of cheddar cheese.
- Crack the eggs into a large bowl,
- add the dry mustard, kosher salt, and pepper, and lightly beat.
- Divide the egg mixture evenly between the muffin cups.
- You’ll need about ¼ cup of the egg mixture for each one, but it is easier to add about half of that at a time and let it soak down into the cups.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until eggs are set and top is lightly golden brown.
You can find complete recipes of this Broccoli, Ham and Cheese Egg Muffin Cups in cupcakesandkalechips.com